Conceptualizing Dr. King's Legacy,
As this Monday, January 16, 2006 a day in which every person, nearly every place of business, almost any school house or house of worship and practically every legislative body has paused at one point or another to honor and celebrate the legacy the life, and the times of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King,
Similar to the declaration of Christ in Luke Chapter 22 verses 19 through 22at the table of communion, where Jesus takes the loaf of bread and breaks it, highlighting verse 19 and it says the following .. 19And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, this is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. (KJV)
Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King gave his life and did it in remembrance of Christ. Dr. King stated: A man who won't die for something is not fit to live.
Many honor this day simply by remembering, some by serving and others doing nothing.
This Dr. King day, with the honor and privilege of having off because of the federally recognized holiday I am celebrating his legacy by writing and reflecting. I dedicate this reflection to my good friend who in my life, and through my own experience is a passionate visionary and prophetic white anti-racist. I hope he knows who he is.
Our lives were touched in one way or another today. It could have been in a many of ways, some of us could have been allowed to vote in 1965, or you could have had the day off of school like me, or many individuals may not have attended work today or knew someone who did, or there are the countless individuals who were affected by the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Regardless in one way or another we are all affected by January 15, and every January 15 and January 16 since 1980 or maybe 1968. I hope we all in one way or another pay homage to this Civil Rights Great and one of Humanities greatest. I also do not want to excuse the transgressions of this late great leader that is why I suggest Michael Eric Dyson's " I May Not Get There with You: The True Martin Luther King, Jr. " (Here is the link to Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/068483037X/sr=1-5/qid=1137472537/ref=pd_bbs_5/104-5636250-1531901?%5Fencoding=UTF8
and other links to MSNBC's coverage of some MLK Day stuff http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10851004/)
So today, after having a productive Dr. King weekend, I write to say and declare that we need individuals who Love like Christ so loved the Church, Love the world as God loved the world, and we must continue to " to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed." As I heard on Friday by the speaker at the King remembrance and celebration (These are not exact words) that "To measure progress in a Nation so powerful, we must look at the way that society treats its Children, the poor, the elderly and those who cannot help themselves...This Country is failing miserably."
I hope all is well as this Monday, January 16, 2006 comes to a close,
Love,
Perry
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment