6.18.2008

Homophobia...in the hood.

You know, I always try not to beat up on Black folks. But today I need to take a couple metaphorical punches at Homophobia in the hood. It's not that white, brown, yellow, red, orange people are more gay-friendly. It's definietly not that at all, rather I live in the Black community, I am Black. So I see what I see. Even though last night on the bus I saw some Lesbian lovin on the bus. To the sisters on the 115/Pullman bus last night...This one's for you.

So today, I'm getting my haircut. Important place in the black community = the barbershop. (for those of you who don't know). And this brother that does his thing selling kicks and jeans out of the shop is talking about this girl who my barber and this guy knows and he said "You know your girl has a girl" and so my barber goes on his tirade about Faggots etc.

I was more than a little annoyed. However, if this was not the nigga cutting my hair. I would have gone off or read him especially while I was in a place of business in which I give my money. I did not though. I like the hundreds of others who live in communities because of our safety and that of our families I could not speak out. I wish that people who are heterosexual who continuously bitch and moan about how queer folks have an "unnecessary anxiety in certain settings" could understand what it's like to have a core part of you under attack and you can't do much about it...

Peace
PG

1 comment:

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hi there!!

I understand what you mean about the blatant homophobia....but I don't think you should internalize the ignorance expressed by other people...yes.. that is easier said than done... but it must be done because the reality is that a large segment of society is homophobic and they will NOT ALL become enlightened in the near future....

If someone starts a tirade about homosexuals, you can say, "I am shocked to hear you say those comments. I thought you were more exposed than that."

This is not an insult to the person but it lets them know quickly that they are being ignorant.

If they continue with their tirade, you can say, "It's too bad you feel that way because I happen to be gay and I know that NONE of what you said is true."

From then on...SILENCE is your weapon.

Anyone who was listening in has gotten the message and you have NOT lowered yourself by putting someone's ignorance IN CHECK without some petty altercation happening.

{raised fist} Power!

Lisa